Sunday 7 October 2012

When my skin condition spiralled downwards

I never thought that I would ever write a blog again. But I hope readers who have suffered or are suffering severe acne to have a second chance like me. Through this platform, I will pen down the various observations and hope the postings will help you in one way or another.

When I was 21 when I went to US for a student programme, my skin condition spiralled downwards. It was a year long internship cum study programme. Prior to going to US, I had a flawless skin which some friends envied and I had guys chasing after me. Then, I didn't perform any skin care routine. No toners. No moisturisers. No makeup. No sunblock. The only skin care product I used was a face wash. I didn't perform skin care routine, not because of personal choice but because I wasn't aware of the importance of skin care and kinda took my good skin for granted.

I had a box of makeup for my 21st birthday and for the first time, my friends helped me put on makeup. After a long night out with friends, I went home, washed up and immediately went to bed. To note, I washed my face with my usual face wash. No proper cleansing. No toner. No moisturiser after washing. It was my last recollection of having a flawless skin.

Rosacea Fulminans
The dry weather in the US made it worse. My face started to turn a little oily and whiteheads form on my checks, nose and chin. Coupled with stress from work and studies, lack of sleep, poor habit of drinking little water, I started having small breakouts to serious acne vulgaris, which looked like nodules and cysts. It is somewhat like a condition called Rosacea Fulminans. Of course just like most acne victims, I tried to squeeze the pus out, thinking that squeezing the pus would help level off the acne. I tried to hide the acne by applying makeup over them whenever I went out. Applying makeup on top of an aggravated skin and a lack of proper cleansing made my acne spread to even more areas of my face. Worse, it turned dark red. Totally hideous.

Proactive 3-step acne treatment
I bought Proactiv 3-step acne treatment system but it did not seem to help resolve nodules and cysts. I supposed it was for milder acne that are more on the surface such as papules. Not only was Proactive expensive, it made my skin reddish and itchy.

I decided to consult the doctors. I spent about US$400 visiting dermacologists and all I got was antibiotics and a drug called Accutane. There were some improvements initially after eating antibiotics. However, when my stomach started to reject the antibiotics, I stopped having them and acne became worse than before. I used alcohol to clean the acne, thinking that acne could be a result of bacteria growth. Not only was it painful, the skin became even more sensitive.

I went to a period of depression, hiding in my room and refusing to go out. I had this feeling that people were staring at my face and guys stopped chasing after me. My emotional distress probably disrupted my hormonal levels. I cried often and started praying hard, but to no avail.

Subsequently, I will be sharing some of my experiences with various products and services. While it will take time to heal, do not despair. There is a second chance for skin rejuvenation.

de novo - "a new beginning"

~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment